Dr Edward LintonPrint Page
Marble tablet erected by the Wellington Hospital Committee in memory of Dr. Linton who died in 1912. The plaque formerly located at the Wellington Hospital is now in the Medical Room of the Museum.
Functions At the Hospital. Last night there was a large gathering of ladies and gentlemen at the institution on the hill to take part in a linen tea, and to witness the unveiling of memorial tablets to the memory of the late Major C. H. Barton and Dr. Linton. The guests for the most, part availed themselves of the motor cars arranged for, and the proceeds were devoted to the funds. The president and members of the committee received the guests, among whom was the Mayor (Alderman T. Kennard), and later on Mr. H. R. M. Piggott (Federal member for the district), an apology being presented on behalf of Mr. T. H. Thrower, M.L.A., and Rev. F.J. Dunkley. The company, or, rather, as many as could do so, gathered in the hall for the unveiling ceremonies, but before these took place Mr. W. H. Pridham stepped forward, and on behalf of the matron and committee thanked the donors of the gifts and all who had come to attend the unveiling of the tablets to the memory of two gentlemen who in life-time had taken the warmest interest in the hospital, and he now asked Mr. Kenyon to perform the ceremony.
Mr. Kenyon, who was received with applause, said that he felt proud that such an important duty had been entrusted to him, and he undertook it with the greatest pleasure. As they all knew, the late Major C.H. Barton had always taken the warmest interest in and worked for the benefit of the hospital, and not only that he had associated himself with every other movement for the good of the town and district. The late Dr. Linton, too, had taken the greatest interest in all charitable movements. He was one of the first doctors of their hospital, and had always rendered it generous and efficient service. Mr. Kenyon then removed the Union Jack from the face of the late Major Barton's tablet, and read the inscription, which was in old English letters, and ran thus: "In memory of a good friend of this hospital, Charles Hampden Barton, who passed away to his rest 1912. Erected by the committee as a token of esteem." The tablet to the memory of the late Dr. Linton was then unveiled. The inscription read as follows: — "In memory of a good friend to this hospital, Edward Linton M.D., who to passed away to his rest, 1912. Erected by the committee as a token of esteem." It may be mentioned that the marble, which is white, slightly veined, came from a deposit of this stone on Nanima Estate, and the work of its cutting, polishing, and inscription was done by Mr. C. T. Shakespeare.
Wellington Times (NSW), 30 March 1916.
|Address:||Warne & Percy Streets, Wellington Historical Museum, Wellington, 2820|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.551111|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr.C.T. Shakespeare|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 29th March, 1916|