Sister Elizabeth Kenny (Sister Kenny House) Print Page
Sister Kenny House commemorates Sister Elizabeth Kenny who was a pioneer in the treatment of Infantile Paralysis or polio, one of the world`s most devastating diseases.
Elizabeth Kenny (1880 – 1952) was an unaccredited Australian nurse who promoted a controversial new approach to the treatment of poliomyelitis. Her findings ran counter to conventional medical wisdom; they demonstrated the need to exercise muscles affected by polio instead of immobilizing them. Kenny's principles of muscle rehabilitation became the foundation of physical therapy, or physiotherapy.
Her revolutionary treatment was rejected by the Australian medical establishment, but in the United States she was seen as a miracle worker and became a celebrity so much so that in 1946 a Hollywood movie was made about her life. Sister Kenny was the founder and first president of the CWA in Nobby in 1925 and is buried in the cemetery.
|Address:||Tooth Street, Sister Kenny House, Nobby, 4360|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.853333|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 5th October, 1997|
Sister Kenny House
This buidling was erected to honour the late Sister Elizabeth Kenny
1880 - 1952
Who won worldwide acclaim for her treatment of Poliomyelitis.
Opened by Professor John Pearn on 5th October 1997.