Euchariste SiroisPrint Page
Plaque commemorates local doctor Euchariste Sirois for his work in the Marburg community.
Dr Euchariste Sirois established a private hospital at Marburg in 1912. Dr Sirois came to Queensland in 1909 after practicing in Denver, Colorado. He is also renowned as the `Father of the Warrego Highway`. Mrs Sirois was the Matron of Marburg Private Hospital.
On this 1 acre block of land that fronted Edmond Street Marburg, the Doctor built his private residence as well as a two room surgery. Later he bought another acre of land that joined the above property to the east and here he built a 22 room hospital, that included 10-foot verandah’s all around, multiple pantries, three bathrooms, five water closets, 16 large water tanks for sanitation, a dining room and enough bedrooms for 12 patients. The hospital was completed in 1912 for a sum of 5,000 pounds and as well as catering to patients needs the building also contained a large medical laboratory and surgical room with the latest scientific implements. The Marburg Private Hospital was a great success and well ahead of its time in many respects, including the use of gas lighting throughout the building and the installation of Marburg’s second telephone in the local area.
|Address:||Edmond Street, Marburg, 4346|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.565306|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1995|
EUCHARISTE SIROIS C.M.,M.D.
Canadian Born Doctor and Dentist. A tireless worker for the Marburg Community from 1909 to 1947.
Matron Sirois (the former Nurse Linning) also worked practically and energetically for the district. This is where their hospital stood( buried Woodlands Marburg)
Erected by the Rosewood Scrub Historical Society 1995.