John Flynn MemorialPrint Page
A monument commemorates the Reverend John Flynn, founder of the Australian Inland Mission and Royal Flying Doctor Service. It was instigated by the Cloncurry Shire Council to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the formation of the Royal Flying Doctor Service. It consists of an obelisk in which is cut a cross supporting a plaque.
The very Reverend John Flynn D.D., DHF, was born at Moliagul on the Victorian gold-fields 25 November 1880. He became a State school teacher at the age of 18, joined the Presbyterian Church in 1908 and after preliminary training was appointed to the Home Mission Staff, becoming a Shearers` Missionary based at Hamilton Victoria. In 1911 he went to Adelaide and completed his studies being ordained as minister at the age of 31. Appointed to the Smith of Dunesk Mission at Beltana, South Australia in 1911, he was given the task of surveying the needs of the Inland people. His report led to the establishment of the Australian Inland Mission in 1912 with John Flynn as its first superintendent, a position he held for 39 years. The small nursing home established at Oodnadatta in South Australia inspired the Inland Mission, by 1919 there were six such homes, including one at Cloncurry. In 1925 his stated aim was to minister to settlers of every creed and none, and to provide a nursing home within one hundred miles of every settlement of in the interior. He died in 1951.
It is the intention of the Cloncurry Shire Council to erect a plaque or monument in memory of the life work of the late Dr. John Flynn of the Inland, at some prominent spot in Cloncurry, probably at the aerodrome where the first plane in flying doctor history took off on an aerial medical service.
The Northern Miner (Charters Towers, Qld), 25 May 1951.
|Address:||Sir Hudson Fysh Drive, Cloncurry Aerodrome, Cloncurry, 4824|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -20.668894|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1953|
TO THE MEMORY OF VERY REV JOHN FLYNN O.B.E. D.D., FOUNDER OF THE FLYING DOCTOR SERVICE OF AUSTRALIA.
FIRST SUPERINTENDANT (1912-1951) OF THE AUSTRALIAN INLAND MISSION.
MODERATOR GENERAL OF THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH 1939-1942.
HE BROUGHT THE MANTLE OF SAFETY TO THE WILDERNESS AND THE SOLITARY PLACES.
THIS MONUMENT, ERECTED BY THE RESIDENTS OF THE CLONCURRY DISTRICT, COMMEMORATES THE 25th ANNIVERSARY OF THE ESTABLISHMENT IN 1928 AT CLONCURRY, OF THE FIRST OPERATING BASE OF THE FLYING DOCTOR SERVICE OF AUSTRALIA.