Doctor James Pirie Memorial Community ComplexPrint Page
Memorial complex dedicated to Dr James Pirie, a much loved local doctor. The site was originally erected as a baby health centre and was opened in 1948.
Dr. James Pirie was born in Scotland in 1868 and died in Australia in 1943 after a few years of ill health. Dr. Pirie probably came to the Liverpool area in the mid 1890s and in 1896 purchased the medical practice of Dr. Beattie. Historical reports of Dr. James Pirie note that he was a charitable man who visited patients in their homes, often treating many without fee, especially during the 1930s depression. Pirie was an honoured member of the St John Ambulance Association from 1897 until his death. Dr. Pirie examined first aid classes on behalf of the association from 1923 onwards at Canley Vale, Liverpool and Cabramatta and ten years later was elected an Honorary Life Member of the St John Ambulance Association, now known as St John Ambulance Australia TrainingBranch (NSW). In 1941 in recognition of his services to the association and the community, Dr. Pirie was recommended to the London headquarters of the association. In 1941 Dr. Pirie was invested as a Serving Brother of the Order of St John of Jerusalem which was deserved recognition of his tirelesscommunity work.
It has been decided at a public meeting, convened for the purpose of determining the nature of the Memorial to be erected to perpetuate the name of the late Dr. James Pirie, that the same shall take the form of a Baby Health Centre, to be constructed at Liverpool. The provision of the necessary site, building and furniture to establish this facility for the mothers and infants of this district is estimated to cost £2500. Those desirous of contributing to this doubly worthy object may lodge their contributions with various local representatives, or they may be forwarded to the Chairman, Joint Hon. Secretaries, or Hon. Treasurer of the Fund. As it is desired to make an early commencement upon the construction of the Health Centre, it is requested that contributions be forwarded as soon as possible.
The Biz (Fairfield, NSW), 4 November 1943.
|Address:||Bigge & Moore Streets, Liverpool, 2170|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.922712|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1948|