Dr. Hugh BusbyPrint Page
Gates commemorate Dr. Hugh Busby for his services to the community. The gate was officially opened in 1930 at a cost of ₤200 which was raised by public subscription.
Dr Hugh Busby, grandson of Dr George Busby, was born in Goulburn, educated at Newington College and the University of Sydney, graduating in Medicine in 1900. After service at Sydney Hospital he spent three years in practice in Gulgong before moving to Bathurst in 1906. He was Government Medical Officer in Bathurst, Honorary Medical Officer at Bathurst District Hospital and foundation member of the medical staff at St Vincent's Hospital Bathurst. He was a keen sportsman in football, cricket, tennis and boxing, and very involved in the School of Arts, Bathurst Musical and Dramatic Society, and several local Masonic Lodges. Following his death on 9th September 1929 at his residence, his funeral was one of the biggest ever seen in Bathurst. When his body was brought from his house it passed through an honour guard of nurses, and over one hundred Masonic brethren marched in front of the hearse.
The formal opening of the Dr. Busby memorial gates which have been erected at the Wllliam-Keppel Streets entrance to Machattie Park, will take place at 3.30 on Sunday afternoon next. All members of the public are cordially invited to be present.
National Advocate (Bathurst, NSW), 23 July 1930.
|Address:||William & Keppel Streets, Machattie Park, Bathurst, 2795|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.419855|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 28th July, 1930|
Dr HUGH BUSBY MEMORIAL 1929