Clarice SkirvingPrint Page
An altar commemorates Clarice Skirving who was the Matron of the Launceston Hospital from 1937 to 1958.
Clarice Skirving was born on 1st September 1900 at Longford, eldest daughter of William Anthony and Clarice Ada Skirving of Deloraine. She was educated in Deloraine and commenced her nursing training in June 1925 at the Launceston General Hospital and graduated in 1929. She was appointed to the staff of the General Hospital and worked in various departments, including the radium ward and children's ward. In 1933 she obtained her Child Health Certificate and in 1935 was appointed sub-matron. Two years later in March 1937 Clarice became Lady Superintendent of Nursing. She completed her midwifery training in 1940.
Through the years of the poliomyelitis epidemic in 1937 and World War Two, she reorganised the hospital to cope with staff shortages, the influx of patients and lack of beds, much of which was relieved by service clubs, church groups and others.
In recognition of her services to nursing she was awarded the Order of the British Empire (O.B.E.) in 1952, and in 1956 she was admitted to the Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem as a 'serving sister'. She was also made a foundation fellow of the College of Nursing, Australia, for her work with nurse training.
In May 1958 Clarice retired after a distinguished nursing career. Subsequently, she married Mr N. Warmbrunn and went to live at Devonport until she died on 2nd February 1978 at her home in Ronald Street.
In her memory the Ex-Trainees' Association donated a huon pine altar to the Chapel of St. Paul.
|Address:||274 -280 Charles Street, Launceston General Hospital, Chapel of St. Paul , Launceston , 7250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.446689|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Religious Object|
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1937|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1958|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1978|
The altar in this chapel was donated by the Ex-Trainees` Association of the Launceston General Hospital in memory of the late Matron Clarice Skirving O.B.E.
1937 - 1958