Dr. Andrew Cameron Print Page
Memorial erected by the congregation of the Presbyterian Church in memory of Dr. Andrew Cameron. Dr Cameron was the brother of the Reverend James Cameron, minister of the church. A tablet was also placed in the church in his memory.
The congregation of the Presbyterian Church, Richmond, have furnished that place with a beautiful tablet and suitable ornament as memorials of the late Dr. Cameron. The latter is placed in front of the church and bears the following epitaph: — "Erected to the memory of Andrew Cameron M.D., by the people of this district to testify their deep sense of his intellectual ability, professional skill, and amiable character." The monument was constructed by Messrs. McDonald and Field, Aberdeen, Scotland, and consists of the best Aberdeen granite, a stone of remarkable endurance. The highest point is seventeen feet, and surrounded with a richly embellished cast iron railing.
The cost of the structure is £150. The deceased gentleman to whose memory the monument has been erected was a brother of the Rev. J. Cameron, M.A., the present pastor of the congregation, with whom he will ever be remembered for his genial spirit and bountiful liberality. As an instance of the latter it is worthy of note he bequeathed to the Senate of the Sydney University the sum of £1100 for the foundation of the "Bowman Cameron Scholarship," and £2000 to the University of Edinburgh, (at which institution he obtained the medical degree) for instruction in therapeutics.
Evening News (Sydney), 26 June 1878.
|Address:||25 West Market Street, St Andrews Uniting Church, Richmond, 2753|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.597277|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Messrs McDonald & Field (Aberdeen, Scotland)|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||June-1878|
TO THE MEMORY
ANDREW R. CAMERON M.D.
BY THE PEOPLE OF THIS DISTRICT
TO TESTIFY THEIR DEEP SENSE
OF HIS INTELLECTUAL ABILITY
AND AMIABLE CHARACTER