Dr. Richard Machattie (Machattie Park)Print Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

Machattie Park commemorates Dr. Richard Machattie who was a physician, surgeon and civic leader.  The plaque commemorating Dr Machattie is located on the gates which were previously at the Police Barracks in Durham Street and relocated to the park c.1940.

 Dr Machattie was leader of a group who fought to have a park on the site of the former gaol which was demolished in 1888. Dr Machattie died in 1876. 

Few men of the healing faculty have in this colony ever achieved an equal amount of popular favour, or inspired more confidence among a numerous constituency of patients than did Dr Machattie during the long years of his extensive practice in this district. His professional career in Bathurst embraced a personal history of nearly forty years during which we believe his travels and his experiences were such as would have destroyed the constitution and taken the life of most of his brethren in the profession long before his own health finally gave way.

The deceased gentleman was a public man, and a popular man politically considered. All the leading questions of the day he gave his attention to. The personal and professional services which he rendered in his medical practice, large as they were, did not fill his whole grasp. He was a magistrate of the territory during many years, has acted as Returning-officer for the "Western Borough," and for some time filled the position of coroner for the district. In matters of local interest also, he was ever forward and acceptable. He was several times elected as an alderman of the borough, and he was chosen Mayor of Bathurst on four different occasions.

Dr. Machattie was born at Forres, Elgin, Scotland on the 10th June 1813; he was therefore 63 years of age at his death, and had been in medical practice 38 years. He studied at the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, and obtained his diploma as a licentiate from the University of that city in 1836, at the age of 25. He came to the colony in 1838, the same year that Sir George Gipps became Governor of New South Wales. He remained but a short time in Sydney, but came to Bathurst direct, where he made arrangements for entering upon the practice of Dr. Favill who at that time resided in this town. Dr Machattie was an elder of the Presbyterian Church at Bathurst for upwards of twenty consecutive years, but was highly respected by all denominations.
Obituary, Sydney Morning Herald, 20 October 1876.

In the report, of the head gardener, as read at last nights' council meeting, that officer suggested that the council should fix a day for the opening ceremony. The Mayor suggested that the date be 20th as on that day the working classes and mechanics would have time to attend. The Bathurst District Band has offered their services to play some selections of music, and the Philharmonic Society would also assist. He moved that the Park be opened on Saturday, December 20th, at 4 o'clock. Alderman Tremain seconded the motion and it was carried.
Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal (NSW), 4 December 1890.


Address:Russell & George Streets, Machattie Park, Bathurst, 2795
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.417421
Long: 149.578074
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:People


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 20th December, 1890
Right Side Inscription
(Plaque on Gates)

To Honour the Memory of
Physician, Surgeon & Civic Leader 
After Whom this Park was Named
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design