Dr. V. R. ElphickPrint Page
The ambulance station building commemorates Dr. V. R. Elphick who practised in the district for many years. Dr Elphick died in 1950.
The late Dr. Elpliick, in his earlier life, was engaged in the teaching profession. Later he decided to study for a medical career, and by his abiility, hard work and tenacity of purpose, he eventually attained his objective and qualified as a doctor. He commenced practice at Lake Cargelligo about 27 years ago, and soon became firmly established as a popular and skilful doctor in whom the community for many miles around had the fullest confidence. In such a far removed and widespread area, his practice made heavy calls upon his time and physical endurance, but cheerfully responded to every call and many people acknowledge with pride and gratitude the self-sacrificing service he rendered to them and to all others who needed medical attention. It is safe to say that no other community as ever had a more popular and painstaking medical man at their service than Cargelligo had in Dr. Elphick.
Despite the heavy calls made by his profession upon his time, he took a keen and active interest in various organisations. He was President of the Bowling Club, which was recently opened after lengthy organisation and preparation; was a Patron of the P.A.H. and I. Association; and during World War 1 he rendered generous and practical assistance to the various patriotic functions which were inaugurated from time to time. He possessed a kindly and charitable disposition, to the benefit of many people and organisations during his lengthy residence at Lake Cargelligo. He also took a keen interest in the Masonic Lodge at Cargelligo, of which he was a Past Master, and also held the Grand Lodge rank of Past District Grand Inspector of Workings.
Excerpt from The West Wyalong Advocate (NSW), 16 February 1950.
At the public meeting held at Lake Cargelligo it was decided that a memorial in the form of an ambulance station be erected to honor the memory of the late Dr. V. R. Elphick and that a subscription list be opened through the Press. Subscriptions already amount to approximately £200.
The West Wyalong Advocate (NSW), 17 April 1950.
|Address:||Foster Street, Ambulance Station, Lake Cargelligo, 2672|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.298773|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event End Date:|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1955|
1955 DR.ELPHICK MEMORIAL
Was Erected By The Citizens Of
Lake Cargelligo & District
To The Memory Of The Late
Dr. V. R. ELPHICK
1923 - 1950