Dr. Gemmel TassiePrint Page
The Lions Rose Garden commemorates Dr. Gemmel Tassie for his service to the District since 1943 and celebrates his 90th birthday.
Dr Gemmel Tassie started his education at St Peters College with an ambition to study engineering which did not eventuate because lack of sponsorship and he decided to study medicine at the Adelaide University.
He graduated in 1926 and started to practice medicine in the Murray Mallee. This was the time of the great depression and the community of Murrayville was severely affected. His income was minimal. He often accepted a fraction of his fee, in one instance one shilling as full settlement of his account for several pounds. Farm produce was often accepted as payment for services rendered.
In 1943, after eleven years he moved to McLaren Vale and for considerable time was the only general practitioner between the Adelaide Hills and Murray Bridge. He was a strong supporter of the hospital at McLaren Vale, and when this was built he became the first Honorary Medical Officer of the Southern Districts War Memorial Hospital.
He was awarded the OAM in 1993. He excelled at bowls and was a president and a long-term patron of the McLaren Vale Bowling Club
|Address:||West Park Way & South Park Way, Gemmel Tassie Reserve, McLaren Vale, 5171|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.216839|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||June, 1991|
Lions Rose Garden
This rose garden commemorates the work of Dr. Gemmel Tassie a general practitioner in this area from 1943 and celebrates his 90th birthday
Planted by the Lions Club of McLaren District with support from Wageners Roses, Wadewitz Nurseries
The District Council of Willunga July 1991