Margaret BattyePrint Page
A plaque onthe library wall in St Catherine's College commemorates lawyer Margaret Battye (1909-1949).
In 1934 Margaret joined the Western Australian branch of the Australian Federation of University Women (president 1937) which planned to establish a university women's college. Appointed to the proposed college's fund-raising committee in 1938, she acted as its solicitor and was a member of its executive in 1942.
Negotiations proceeded to take over the lend-lease quarters, used by American officers during World War II, which were situated close to the university. Agreement was reached in 1945 and Battye was appointed to the Women's College council next year. She was responsible for drawing up the original constitution under which the Women's University College (later the University Women's College and from 1960 St Catherine's College) functioned with little alteration for many years.
|Address:||2 Park Road, Library, St Catherine`sCollege, Nedlands, 6009|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.974514|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Dedicated in gratitude to Margaret Battye by Womens organizations and her friends
1909 - 1949