Sir Harry Talbot GibbsPrint Page
The Commonwealth Law Courts building commemorates Sir Harry Talbot Gibbs who was the former Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia, and a Justice of the Court.
After graduating from the University of Queensland with a Bachelor of Arts and a Master of Laws, he was admitted to the Queensland Bar in 1939, and was appointed a Queen's Counsel (QC) in 1957.
He was a Judge of the Supreme Court of Queensland from 1961–67, and a Judge of the Federal Court of Bankruptcy and Supreme Court of the ACT 1967–70. He was appointed a Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (KBE) in 1970, a Privy Counsellor (PC) in 1972, and a Grand Cross of St Michael and St George (GCMG) in 1981.
|Address:||North Quay & Tank Street, Commonwealth Law Courts, Brisbane, 4000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.468972|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
This building is named in honour of
The Rt Hon Sir Harry Talbot Gibbs GCMG, AC, KBE, QC (1917 - 2005)
Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia 1981 - 1987
Justice of the High Court of Australia 1970 - 1981
Judge Federal Court of Bankruptcy 1967-1970
Privy Councillor 1972
Judge Supreme Court of Australian Capital Territory 1967-1970
Judge Supreme Court of Queensland 1961-1967
Judge Court of Appeal of Kiribati 1988-1999
President Australian Academy of Forensic Sciences 1980-1982
Inaugural President Samuel Griffith Society 1992-2005