Phillip ScottPrint Page
A stained glass window erected by public subscription in memory of Phillip Scott, solicitor of Portland who died in 1870.
Since the year 1854, when Mr Scott first arrived in Portland, little of public character in connexion with the town has occurred in which he has not taken a prominent part. In 1856 he was one amongst a number of the townspeople who offered a reward of two or three thousand pounds for the discovery of a workable goldfield within a certain distance of Portland. He took an active part and contributed largely to the erection of St. Stephen's Church of which he was a member, and in fact there is hardly a church in Portland of whatever denomination that is not to some extent indebted to his bounty. Mr Scott was intimately connected with the establishment in 1856 of the first Municipal Council, of which he acted as clerk for six or seven years. Scott's desire to serve the town was the ruling passion until the latest moment; it might almost be said that he died in harness as he acted as a member of the Borough Council and took a deep interest in the proceedings till within a few weeks of his death.
Portland Guardian & Normanby General Advertiser (Vic), 11th August 1870.
In these pleasant paths of right doing be had an excellent example set before him in early days, in the person of the well beloved Phillip Scott, who greatly adorned his profession as a solicitor of this town, and in whose office our friend passed almost a lifetime, and whose name was so fragrant of all things kind and charitable, that he was known as "the peacemaker," advising people to make private settlements of difficulties, and on no account to go to law, and when he died, Portland's grateful appreciation took the shape of a stained glass window raised by public subscription, representing our Lord's word picture painting of the Good Samaritan, beneath which runs the legend, "Sacred to the memory of Philip Scott, solicitor," There was no pulpit notice of him at the time but now God has brought his good deeds to remembrance, and in the heavenly land these two friends are not divided.
Portland Guardian (Vic), 24th June 1908, excerpt from "In Memoriam- Daniel Jones."
|Address:||57 Julia Street, St Stephen`s Anglican Church, Portland, 3305|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.348478|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Ferguson & Urie|
Sacred to the memory of Philip Scott, solicitor