Robert JohnsonPrint Page
A stained glass window erected by members of the legal profession and friends commemorates Robert Johnson M.L.C. (1812-1866).
In 1856 Johnson was appointed to the first Legislative Council after responsible government. An active law reformer he carried the Insolvents Act Amendment Act and an Act anent stamps on conveyances. In 1857 he went to England and on his return in November 1858 resumed his seat. He carried the Registration of Deeds and the Supreme Court Verdicts and Judgments Acts but was unable to effect other legal reforms. He served on many committees, devoted himself 'to the details of measures' and was ready 'at all times to give assistance to other members.' He was a loyal supporter of the Church of England.
|Address:||George & Bathurst Streets, St Andrew`s Cathedral , Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.874225|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.