Eliza Forlong and RamPrint Page
Monument of Eliza Forlong and a ram commemorates the founder of the super-fine wool industry in Tasmania.
The Forlong family decided to establish themselves in New South Wales as producers of Saxon merino wool. Eliza undertook the task of selecting the finest merino sheep in Saxony. She travelled by foot, buying sheep for William’s voyage on the Clansman in 1829 and for her own voyage on the Czar in 1830. In all, Eliza and her sons walked across Saxony three times, leading flocks of 100 sheep to the port at Hamburg.
In June 1829, her 16-year-old son William sailed for New South Wales with a flock of seven rams and 90 ewes. The Clansman stopped at Hobart en route, where Governor Arthur recognised the value of the flock and persuaded William to take up a large grant of land near Campbell Town. On reaching Van Diemens Land in January 1831, Eliza, her husband John and son Andrew, with a second flock, joined William at the Kenilworth property. These sheep formed the basis of the Winton superfine stud at Campbell Town, Australia’s pre-eminent superfine wool stud, and the neighbouring St Johnstone stud.
|Address:||Midland HIghway, Valentine Park, Campbell Town, 7210|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.928517|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Peter Corlett OAM|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Meridian Sculpture Founders|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 19th April, 2013|
Eliza and the Ram
Eliza & the Ram
Unveiled by Paolo Zegna Di Monte Rubello
Chairman Ermenegildo Zegna Group - Italy
19th April 2013
Sculptor : Peter Corlett OAM
Bronze casting : Meridian Sculpture Founders