Allen C. LewisPrint Page
A fountain donated by Concrete Constructions Group as a tribute to its founder Allen C. Lewis (1891-1970) and the employees of the Company who contributed to the growth of the construction industry throughout Australia.
Allen C Lewis helped to form (initially as company secretary) Country Concrete Constructions Ltd (registered 1916). Most of its contracts were for rural projects. In 1920 the firm was reconstituted as Concrete Constructions Ltd but it remained a private company. Lewis built up a substantial shareholding and served as chairman. Projects in the 1920s included the reconstruction of Mark Foy's Ltd's store in Liverpool Street, the grandstand at the Royal Agricultural Society showground, the Government Savings Bank building in Martin Place, the Menzies Hotel, Melbourne, and reinforced concrete highways.
In the postwar period the impact of his company on Sydney was even more pronounced: among his projects was the Australian Mutual Provident Society Ltd's building on Circular Quay, described as Australia's first 'skyscraper'.
|Address:||Macquarie Street, Opera House End, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.858962|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
In association with the
SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE TRUST
this fountain was donated by
CONCRETE CONSTRUCTIONS GROUP
as a tribute to the group's founder
ALLEN C LEWIS (1891-1970),
and the employees of the Company
who contributed to the growth
of the construction industry