Sir Arthur Fadden Print Page
The Sir Arthur Fadden Memorial Garden was originally established in 1976 as a tribute to Sir Arthur who served as Chairman of the Board of the Centenary Estates Ltd from 1961 – 1967. The garden was located on the western side of the then Mt Ommaney Interchange and consisted of 3,000 advanced trees including a large palm, Jacarandas, Illawarra Flames, Albizzias, pines, Wilsonii, Poplars, Bottle Brush and Calaphers along with plants, small shrubs, creepers and ground cover. The Brisbane City Council Electricity Department designed an attractive lighting system around the garden which also included a fountain.
In 1979 the garden was modified to incorporate the Mt Ommaney Roundabout which was opened in September of that year. The sign for the garden with the base of Mt. Coot-tha Blue Stone topped with slate was carved in Helvetica capitals on Maleny Tallowwood and was dismantled in 2000 as white ants had caused its decay.
Before his time as Chairman of the Board of Centenary Estates Ltd., Sir Arthur William Fadden, GCMG (13 April 1894 – 21 April 1973) was an Australian politician and, briefly, the 13th Prime Minister of Australia.
|Address:||Centenary Motorway, Mount Ommaney Roundabout, Mount Ommaney, 4074|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.547577|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 9th July, 1967|