Eric F. H.ThomsonPrint Page
The brick gate piers at the entrance to the Eric F. H. Thomson Sports Reserve, Brunel Street Great Western, were constructed and unveiled in 1992 in honour of Eric F.H. Thomson a member of the Thomson family who were well known winemakers in the district.
The Thomson family became established vine growers and wine makers at the time of the land boom in 1892, initially at Rhymney. William Thomson had emigrated to Australia in 1876 and after becoming a successful baker, tried his hand at wine making. By the turn of the century, the Thomsons had established themselves as one of the great wine families of the district. Frederick Thomson purchased the well known "Concongella" vineyard in 1920 from the estate of Henry Best, prominent wine maker. Frederick Thomson had also purchased the right to use the famous name "Bests Great Western Wines". Throughout the century, Concongella vineyards of Henry Best were the centre of activities at Great Western for the Thomson family, including Frederick Hamill (Eric) Thomson, his brother William Hamill (Bill) and his son, Vivian.
|Address:||Brunel Street, Eric F.H. Thomson Sports Reserve, Great Western, 3377|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.152145|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1991|