Hugh Davis NormanPrint Page
A monument commemorates Hugh Davis Norman, founder member and President of the Broome Pearlers Association and former Mayor of Broome 1909-1910. Hugh Norman was the father of Broome pearler, Edgar de Burgh Norman.
Hugh Norman was a partner in the pearling business of Robison and Norman which operated a pearling fleet out of Broome. In 1900, Robison and Norman opened a store in Broome.
|Address:||Hamersley & Weld Streets, Bedford Memorial Park, Broome, 6725|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.962605|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Hugh Davis Norman sailed into Roebuck Bay in the schooner "Mist" in 1887, seeking a safe and suitable site to establish a pearling base and headquarters in the north west of Western Australia for the firm Robison & Norman. He landed on the western shore of Dampier Creek and from 1890 the town of Broome grew.
H.D.Norman was a founder member and a President of the Pearlers Association, Mayor of Broome 1909 and 1910, received the Commission of the Peace from Governor Bedford in 1908, was a patron of the race club, a prominent cricketer and keen golfer, past Master of Roebuck Lodge No 50. W.A.C Delegate of the Pearlers Association to London, Paris and Berlin 1914.