Edward William AndrewsPrint Page
A marble tablet erected as a token of esteem and affection by his fellow workers of The Register to the memory of Edward William Andrews. The church also contains a memorial window presented by his wife in his memory and there is also a memorial window in St Judes Church Port Elliott.
Andrews arrived in Australia in September 1839 originally as a merchant. The Statistical Society chose him with others in April 1841 to collect information on the financial prospects of the colony, but in December 1842 he became insolvent in the financial depression. Discharged in 1845 he continued as a merchant until 1850.
Andrews then joined the staff of the South Australian but in May 1852 moved to the South Australian Register. He was reputed to be the smartest long-hand reporter in the colony. In May 1853 with Joseph Fisher, Anthony Forster, William Kyffin Thomas and others he bought the Register from John Taylor, and followed Forster as editor in November 1864. He died in 1877.
|Address:||Torrens Square, St Peter`s Anglican Church, Glenelg, 5045|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.978383|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Edward William Andrews
Born May 17, 1811 : Died February 23, 1877
Erected as a token of esteem and affection by his fellow workers on the journal with which he was connected for nearly 30 years.
" A good man, one that feared God, and of good report among all"