www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Paddy Hannan`s TreePrint Page Print this page

Paddy Hannans Tree
Paddy Hannans Tree

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

Tree marks the vicinity where gold was discovered by Paddy Hannan, Thomas Flanagan and Daniel Shea in 1893.  The first tree was planted on the spot in 1897. The tree died in 1935 and was subsequently removed and replaced with a kurrajong tree planted by Paddy Hannan's granddaughter. To mark the 100th anniversary of the find a new tree was planted on 13 June 1993.

A plaque was unveiled at the site in 1929 during the centenary of Western Australia in honour of Paddy Hannan. 

When the goldfields observances of  the Centenary of West Australia take place in the near future tablets will be erected at suitable spots to mark historical events. Two of these will be associated with the name of the late Lord (Sir John) Forrest and the late C. Y. O'Connor and the third with the name of Paddy Hannan. The W.A. Centenary Committee, in Perth had suggested that the two former should be placed at the Mt. Charlotte Reservoir to mark the completion of the water scheme and that the third should be fixed near Paddy Hannan's tree. The local Mechanics' Institute committee came forward with a suggestion to tlhe Kalgoorlie Municipal Council that these tablets should adorn the entrance of the institute buildings instead of being lost to the view of the public and trans-Australian travellers if the plates were put elsewhere.
Western Argus (Kalgoorlie), 6th August 1929.

Location

Address:Outridge Terrace & Hannan Street, Kalgoorlie, 6430
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.743274
Long: 121.4775
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Front Inscription

          In This Vicinity
    PATRICK HANNAN, 
THOMAS FLANAGAN And
        DANIEL SHEA
First Found "Colours Of Gold"
On 10th June, 1893.
             — — —
A Reward Claim Was Applied For
                  By
        Hannan & Flanagan
At Coolgardie On 17th June, 1893.
               — — —
 The First Tree To Mark This Spot
Was Planted On 3rd August, 1897
     By Miss Florence Snell,
Step-Daughter Of Mayor H. G. Parsons.
                  — — —
This Plaque Was Placed
On The Occasion Of The Planting
      Of A New Tree
On 13th June 1993
By Miss Natasha Yuryevich,
Daughter Of Mayor R.S. Yuryevich
To Commemorate The 100th
Anniversary Of The Find.

(2nd Plaque)
Centenary of Western Australia
              1929.
         Erected By 
The Citizens Of Kalgoorlie 
In Honour Of The Late 
PATRICK HANNAN, 
Discoverer Of Kalgoorlie 
Who Found Gold On This Spot 
    15th June 1893.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design