Ben GermeinPrint Page
Stone seat carries a plaque commemorating Captain Ben Germein who with John Dagwell as his assistant was the first lighthouse keeper in Port MacDonnell.
Germein arrived on the `South Australian` in 1837 with his two brothers. He later followed his father in the merchant navy and once took a ship through the Murray mouth as far as Goolwa. Ben Germein was later involved in attempts to assist the wrecked Admella in 1859 and the John Ormerod in 1861. For his efforts he was awarded the Gold Medal of the Royal Humane Society and a Silver Medal from Victoria and South Australia. Germein also was instrumental in the location of the town of Port MacDonnell which was declared a port on 4 April 1860. When surveyed it was named Crete-Warta but the Governor preferred MacDonnell.
|Address:||Cape Northumberland, Port MacDonnell, 5291|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.057222|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1943|
A commemoration of the gallantry of Benjamin Germein 1826 – 1893 first lighthouse keeper at Cape Northumberland 1859 – 1885.
He was first to reach and save lives from the wrecks the Admella and the John Ormerod 1861 erected 1944