Joseph GilbertPrint Page
Memorial commemorates pastoralist and vigneron who planted the first vineyard in Eden Valley at Pewsey Vale.
In July 1839 he applied for a special survey in Lyndoch Valley where he transferred his Tasmanian sheep and began to build a house. The property was named first Karrawatta and then Pewsey Vale. He soon won repute for his fine wool, careful breeding of imported thoroughbreds and Shorthorn cattle, acclimatization of English deer, his garden and his stables.
He planted his first vines in 1847 and was licensed to distil spirits in 1849. The vineyard was destroyed by frosts in 1855 but was soon replanted and before long his wine and cellars won deserved fame.
Note: On private property.
|Address:||Trial Hill Road, Pewsey Vale Chapel, Pewsey Vale , 5351|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.619871|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.