Thomas PickettPrint Page
A monument commemorates shepherd Thomas Pickett who discovered the Burra copper deposit in 1845.
Pickett received 10 pounds from an Adelaide syndicate who had ridden up to inspect a nearby lode and also another 10 pounds from the South Australian Mining association.
A suggestion that he should receive some shares in the company was brushed aside as ‘unwarranted expenditure’. Letters were written to The Register on Pickett’s behalf, especially when the mine returned 800% on shareholders’ investment two years later. By 1851 Pickett was dead, burned to death in a hut three miles from Kooringa. Mr C.J. Ware, the licensee of the Miners` Arms Hotel wrote to the Directors of the South Australian Mining Association appealing to them to at least pay for Thomas Pickett`s funeral expenses. The company at last responded, stating that they had "authorised the payment of the funeral expenses, attending the burial of old Tom Pickett."
|Address:||Morgan-Burra Road, 5km from Burra, Burra , 5417|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.73748|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1971|
Whose Discovery Of Copper Lead To The Opening
Of The Burra Burra Mine, 29th September 1845.
Lived Opposite Here In His Shepherd`s Hut
On Diprose Creek.
Erected 1971 By The Burra Burra Branch
Of The National Trust
Plaque Replaced By The Regional Council Of Goyder
And The National Trust 2009.