Henry PyePrint Page
A fountain commemorates Henry Pye who began his own building and contracting business at nineteen then sold out and went to Kalgoorlie. In partnership with two others he built bridges for Western Australia Railways. After five years he returned to Swan Hill and repurchased his original business. He became a leading builder, undertaker, hardware and timber yard proprietor and also had farming interests.
He was chairman of the Swan Hill Waterworks Trust for 24 years, a member of Dookie and Longerenong Agric. College Councils, chairman Transport Board; trustee Swan Hill Australian Natives Association; chairman Swan Hill Electric Light Commission and Sewerage Authority; member Swan Hill Agricultural and Pastoral Society; Freemason. Swan Hill shire councillor 1917-1935, president 1931-1932. He died in 1942 and is buried in Swan Hill cemetery.
|Address:||McCallum & Campbell Streets, Swan Hill, 3585|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.338678|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
This memorial fountain is dedicated to the memory of the Honourable Henry Pye, M.L.A. and Mrs. Pye and former pioneers who, by their community spirit, work, and trust steered Swan Hill from a primitive village to the city it is today.