www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Les "Plugger" McMahonPrint Page Print this page

03-May-2015
03-May-2015

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

A rotunda at the Bairnsdale Livestock Exchange dedicated to the memory of local drover and farmer Les “Plugger” McMahon. In his early 20s he took up employment with the local blacksmith, George Hadfield and learnt the art of blacksmithing, in particular shoeing horses.

The pair also made every hinge for the original saleyards on the current site. By day the pair would shoe horses, then work well into the night making each of the hinges by hand. At 15 years of age “Plugger” made of the first of what became hundreds of droving trips from East Gippsland over the following 40-50 years.

Location

Address:11 Saleyard Road, Bairnsdale Livestock Exchange, Bairnsdale, 3875
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.833672
Long: 147.623082
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 10th December, 2005
Front Inscription

L A "Plugger" McMahon Memorial Rotunda

Plaque :

L A "Plugger" McMahon Memorial Rotunda

This historic rotunda has been used for horse sales since the early 1940`s has been dedicated to the memory of Les "Plugger" McMahon who passed away on 16 April 2005.

Born 19 May 1923 and the seventh of Benjamin and Christina McMahon`s eleven children, "Plugger" became a legendary stockman and horseman during his 81 years.

He was also a much loved and highly respected figure at the Bairnsdale Livestock Exchange.

By naming this rotunda in his honour the East Gippsland Shire Council hopes to keep alive the memory and spirit of this great character.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design