Nickel, Stokie & GreenPrint Page
A monument commemorates the discovery of silver-lead at Thackeringa Hills by Nickel, Stokie and Green in 1876.
In 1875, silver ore was discovered in the area of Thackaringa by Julius Charles Nickel, a German tank sinker. Although he had some prospecting knowledge, he consulted John Stokie who ran the bush hotel at Thackaringa. Stokie suggested that he would be able to get his friend Paddy Green, a store owner and prospector based in Menindee on the Darling River, to finance a mine, but Nickel decided to travel to Adelaide to consult mining authorities. As soon as Nickel departed, Stokie hunted out the outscrop and contacted Paddy Green, who quickly made his way to Thackaringa and between them they pegged 15 blocks. Green returned to Menindee where he registered the claims in the names of himself, Stokie and Mr. Gower the Police Magistrate at Wilcannia who he had also got interested. Thus was formed the Pioneer Mining Company, which held the Pioneer Mine until 1892.
|Address:||Barrier Highway, Thackeringa Hills, approximately 35km W, Broken Hill, 2880|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.04|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Of The Discovery Of Silver-Lead
THACKARINGA IN 1876
JULIUS CHARLES NICKEL