Charles RaspPrint Page
Monument commemorate the discovery of the Broken Hill ore body by Charles Rasp in 1883.
Mr Charles Rasp, a boundary rider from Mt Gipps station, found deposits of silver and lead on a hill in the Barrier Ranges 700 miles inland from Sydney. He and six other men from the same station staked out a claim on an outcrop which Mr Charles Sturt called a ‘broken hill’ when he passed through the area 40 years ago. The samples he took contained silver chloride and he claimed 16 hectares.
A syndicate of seven was set up with the object of purchasing the surrounding land to prevent a rush from other miners. In January 1885 they hit a rich vein of silver in what turned out to be one of the world`s largest known silver-lead-zinc lodes. They made vast fortunes, although two members of the syndicate were unfortunate enough to sell their shares for a pittance before the scale of the find was apparent.
|Address:||Crystal Street (Silver City Highway), ANZAC Hall, Broken Hill, 2880|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.958834|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||September-1882|
|Approx. Event End Date:||September-1882|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1952|
The Discovery Of The Broken Hill
Ore Body By