www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Charles McIntoshPrint Page Print this page

26-February-2016 (Bryan Hardy)
26-February-2016 (Bryan Hardy)
Photographs supplied by Father Ted Doncaster / Bryan Hardy

A plaque commemorates Charles McIntosh, an engineer and coachbuilder.

Location

Address:James & Station Streets, Francis Bird Park , Cannington, 6107
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.023889
Long: 115.942222
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Front Inscription

Charles McIntosh, 1826 - 1890

Engineer, blacksmith and coachbuilder of Cannington

This plaque is dedicated to Charles McIntosh who, after his marriage to Mary Ann Creamer, devoted much of his life and work to the township of Cannington.

Migrating from Glasgow in 1854, he became the engineer of the Lady Stirling II which, in those days, made regular trips on the Swan River between Perth and Fremantle.  In the early 1860's he established his successful coachbuilding and blacksmith`s shop at the corner of Albany Road and Wharf Street, Cannington.

Later he became Benjamin Mason's Eengineer, installing the milling machinery at both the Upper and Lower Timber Stations and introducing Disston`s revolutionary circular saw to the Colony.

One of his five sons, Arthur, who was born at the Canning Landing in 1871, continued his father`s business in Cannington for many years.

Charles McIntosh :
Born 1826  Died 25th December 1890 aged 64 years

Mary McIntosh
Born 1837  Died 21st January 1915 aged 78 years

Pioneers along the Canning

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design