John Henry (Jack) CuthbertsonPrint Page
The unveiling of the memorial was also the occasion for artist Gary Miles to present the Cuthbertson family with a portrait of Jack that he painted about 27 years ago for the Archibald Prize.
Mr Cuthbertson, who died at the age of 93 in 2013, brought the first bulldozer into the then Buln Buln shire, established a sawmill there in 1946 and further developed the land into nine dairy farms. At one stage he owned 33 dairy farms and 13 sawmills and employed more than 400 people.
Except for a couple of years as a child, Mr Cuthbertson lived all his life at Hallora and Drouin. He was a life member of many clubs and organisations, including Rotary and Lions. He donated the use of his earthmoving and bulldozing machinery to redevelop the Drouin recreation reserve and construct the Drouin golf course and the Drouin memorial swimming pool.
|Address:||McCay Drive, Civic Park , Drouin, 3818|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.135057|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 15th February, 2015|
This memorial plaque and stone are placed here to commemorate the life and outstanding contribution made to Drouin and surrounding district by John Henry (Jack) Cuthbertson
1920 - 2014
The contributions made by Jack were many and varied.
Providing opportunities to the local dairy industry by establishing 33 dairy farms.
Providing employment opportunities through the establishment of his civil contracting company "Drouin Constructions".
Providing employment opportunities by the establishment of many sawmills through the company known as Cuthbertson & Richards.
Donating machinery and manpower to local organisation to establish and improve their facilities.
A kind gentle man with a great sense of honesty, intelligence, charity & humour.
Drouin is a better place because of "Cuthy".
To learn more about this great man visit the Drouin Public Library to read the stories contributed by local citizens.