Robert AndersonPrint Page
A plaque at Split Point pays tribute the builder of the lighthouse who also was one of the founding fathers of the eight hour day in Victoria in 1856.
Following shipwrecks on the nearby coast , the 6.3 hectare lighthouse reserve was gazetted in 1890 to designs by the Public Works Department and the lighthouse was constructed by the Richmond contractors R. Anderson and Sons. Robert Anderson was one of the stone masons who had led the 1856 Eight Hour Movement marches in Victoria.
On 21 April 1856, following negotiations between building tradesmen and contractors, and with the approval of the colonial government, an eight hour day was introduced into the building trades in Melbourne. The movement was led by the stonemasons who argued that eight hours a day was appropriate in the Australian heat. It would also give them time to improve their 'social and moral condition'.
|Address:||Federal Street, Split Point Lighthouse, Aireys Inlet, 3231|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.468057|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 14th March, 1994|
The plaque was unveiled by His Excellency the Honourable Richard McGarvie Governor of Victoria in the company of John Halfpenny, Secretary Victorian Trades Hall Council to pay tribute to the builder of the Split Point lighthouse, Airey`s Inlet and one of the founding fathers of the Eight Hour Day in Victoria on 21st April 1856.
Stonemason - Robert Anderson
Who built this lighthouse in 1891 to give safe passage to all that sail the oceans
Erected by Labour Historical Graves Committee with the support of Incolink, CFMEU, A.M.S.A. V.T.H.C
14th March 1994