Yagan Memorial ParkPrint Page
The park officially opened in 2010 brings to an end a long campaign by the Noongar people to reunite the head of the warrior Yagan with his body, which is believed to have been buried at the site in Belhus. Following a private traditional Nyoongah burial ceremony, Premier Colin Barnett dedicated the park as a memorial to Yagan. The Park also represents a new beginning in the acknowledgement and understanding of Noongar people.
Yagan, a famous Aboriginal from the nomadic Noongar tribe in Western Australia, was shot dead by brothers, William and James Keats. Nineteen year old William Keats who fired the gun was killed by Yagan’s friends whilst James escaped via the Canning River. Yagan had a thirty pound bounty on his head and he had speared a number of Britons to death during the Noongar resistance to British claims over their land and he is considered a hero in Indigenous folklore. His head was cut off after he was killed and his back was skinned in order to obtain his tribal markings. It was common practice amongst settlers to behead Aboriginal warriors and send the heads to Britain for study and display. This also occurred to Yagan. Badly deteriorated, the skull was ultimately buried in Everton cemetery in 1964, and his tribe fought for decades to have it exhumed and returned to Australia in 1997.
|Address:||West Swan Road & Great Northern Highway, Belhus, 6069|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.78|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||11-July-1833|
|Approx. Event Start Date:|
|Actual Event End Date:||11-July-1833|
|Approx. Event End Date:|
|Monument Designer:||Peter Farmer, Kylie Ricks, Sandra Hill and Jenny Dawson (artworks)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 10th July, 2010|