Memorial dedicated to the memory of Truganini. The Truganini steps lead to the lookout and memorial to the Nuenonne people and Truganinni, who inhabited Lunnawannalonna (Bruny Island) before the European settlement of Bruny. Truganni was of the Nuenonne tribe whose country had been Bruny Island and the Channel area of the mainland.
Truganini was the daughter of Mangana, chief of the Bruny Island people. A survivor of The Black Wars that accompanied European settlement in Tasmania, Truganini worked hard in the early 1830s to unify what was left of the indigenous communities of Tasmania.
In 1830 George Augustus Robinson, a Christian missionary was hired to round up the remainder of the indigenous population and he settled them on Flinders Island. Truganini and her husband, Woorrady, helped Robinson in this venture in the hope that removing them would protect them from further violence. Unfortunately, the shock of resettlement, combined with the unsanitary conditions the people were forced to live in, proved fatal and the resettlement program did not work.
The result was the virtual annihilation of the one hundred or so people left - mainly due to malnutrition and illness. By 1856 there were only a few remaining indigenous survivors left in Tasmania, Truganini among them, who were taken to Oyster Bay. By 1873, except for Truganini, all of the people taken there had died. Truganini was moved to Hobart where she died in 1876. She had no known descendants.
Even in death she was not left in peace. Her skeleton was on display in the Tasmanian Museum from 1904 to 1907. It was not until 1976 that her remains received a proper burial
|Address:||Bruny Island Main Road, The Neck, Bruny Island, North Bruny , 7150|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -43.269371|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1967|
This memorial is dedicated to the memory of Truganini
1812 - 1876