Mokare - Man of Peace Print Page
Statue commemorates the aboriginal Mokare in recognition of the role he played in the peaceful coexistence between the Noongar people and the first European settlers.
Mokare and his brother were house guests of Alexander Collie the resident magistrate and Mokare was interpreter and guide during an expedition to the Porongorups in April 1831. The brothers were Collie`s informants for an essay on the Aborigines of King George Sound published in the Perth Gazette in July-August 1834. The article described the illness of Mokare and his death on 26 June 1831. When Collie was dying in 1835, he asked to be buried alongside Mokare. The graves were disturbed during construction of Albany Town Hall in the twentieth century and some remains, presumed to be Collie`s, were interred in the pioneers` cemetery, Albany. This statue was erected in 1997 as a reconciliation project by members of the Albany community and funded by the Aboriginal Affairs Department and the town of Albany. Five months after its erection it was vandalized.
|Address:||York Street, Alison Hartman Gardens, Albany, 6330|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.0225|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Terry Humble|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 18th April, 1997|
MOKARE “A MAN OF PEACE” 1826. / IN RECOGNITION OF THE ROLE MOKARE PLAYED IN THE PEACEFUL COEXISTENCE BETWEEN THE NOONGAR PEOPLE AND THE FIRST EUROPEAN SETTLERS/ A RECONCILIATION PROJECT JOINTLY FUNDED BY THE ABORIGINAL AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT AND THE TOWN OF ALBANY.
THIS PLAQUE WAS UNVEILED BY NOONGAR ELDER MRS MARGARET WILLIAMS AND HER WORSHIP THE MAYOR MRS ANNETTE KNIGHT, AM, JP. ON THE 18TH APRIL, 1997 / TILES PRODUCED BY THE SCHOOL CHILDREN OF THE GREAT SOUTHERN REGION. SCULPTOR - TERRY HUMBLE