Frank WilsonPrint Page
Monument over the grave of William ( Frank ) Wilson reputed to be the last tribal Aborigine of the Ballarat (spelt Ballaarat) tribe.
William Wilson (also known as Frank Wilson) was reputed to be the last tribal Aborigine of the Ballarat (spelt Ballaarat) tribe. As such his grave in the local cemetery is of great significance to the local Aboriginal community. Mullawallah, better known as Frank or William Wilson, was one of at least three Wathaurung (Wadda wurrung) men in the Ballarat region who were given the title "King Billy" by European settlers.
A well known figure in the Ballarat area, Frank gave an exhibition of boomerang throwing in Sturt Street in August 1880, attracting a large crowd. He was also probably the "King Billy" who attended Melbourne Cup meetings. Frank had another side, being concerned about the effects of Europeans trapping fauna in the Ballarat area. He died on the 23rd September 1896. Due to his status as the last of the Wathaurung in the Ballarat area, his funeral, on 26 September, attracted a large crowd. In 1897, The Australian Natives Association, with the help of the municipal council, raised the present monument over his grave.
The members of the Australian Historical Record Society, which was formed in Ballarat about two years ago with a view to the presentation of relics of the early days of the colonies have decided to erect a unique, and appropriate monument to the memory of Frank, the last of the district tribe of aborigines. The monument is to be constructed of rough granite and is to take the form of a mia mia or native hut set off by spear, waddy and shield and carrying a suitable inscription. The project has also been taken up by the local branches of the ANA.
The Argus (Melbourne), 30 August 1897.
|Address:||Doveton Street North & Norman Street, Block C Wesleyan, Ballarat New Cemetery, Ballarat North, 3350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.534487|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1897|
THE LAST OF THE