Sir Wilfred Russell Grimwade Print Page
Concrete pitcher with tablet at the west wall of Captain Cooks Cottage states that the contributions and relics in the cottage are a tribute to Russell Grimwade who presented Cook's cottage to the people of Victoria as a centenary gift in 1934.
The cottage belonged to Captain James Cook's parents and was brought from Great Ayton, Yorkshire, through the efforts of Russell Grimwade and erected here as a memorial to Captain Cook. The cottage was given an extensive restoration in 1978 when many of the relics were obtained,
(Sir) Wilfrid Russell Grimwade was a partner and research director in Felton, Grimwade & Co, which later went on to become Drug Houses of Australia. He was a keen botanist who served as the official botanical adviser to the Army Department during World War II. Grimwade was also a generous philanthropist who donated large sums of money to numerous scientific and heritage organisations and was heavily involved in the advancement of science research in Australia.
|Address:||Wellington Parade, Captain Cook`s Cottage, Fitzroy Gardens , East Melbourne , 3002|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.814424|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
THE COLLECTION OF COOK RELICS AND OTHER
PERIOD PIECES ON EXHIBITION IN THIS COTTAGE
HAS BEEN ASSEMBLED UNDER THE AUSPICES OF THE
MELBOURNE CITY COUNCIL AND THE NATIONAL
TRUST OF AUSTRALIA (VICTORIA) AS A TRIBUTE
TO THE MEMORY OF
WHO PRESENTED THE COOK COTTAGE TO THE PEOPLE OF VICTORIA.