James and Mary Emelia Mayne Print Page
The James and Mary Emelia Mayne Centre (formerly Mayne Hall ) is named after two key benefactors to the University of Queensland: James O’Neil Mayne (1861–1939) and his sister Mary Emelia Mayne (1858–1940). The Centre which houses the University Art Museum, was officially opened in April 2004 following a major refurbishment of the building formerly known as Mayne Hall. The original building was designed by the prominent Brisbane architect, Robin Gibson, and opened in March 1973. They are also commemorated by a bronze plaque by Kathleen Shillam.
The principal benefactors of the University of Queensland, he and Miss Mayne gave 693 acres (280 ha) of Moggill land for agricultural education in 1923, and after negotiations beginning in 1926 paid £63,000 to resume over 200 acres (81 ha) at St Lucia. Mayne was attracted to this extensive river site by memories of Sydney University's small ground space and lack of water frontage.
Dr James Mayne, who was a medical superintendent of the Brisbane General Hospital (now Royal Brisbane Hospital) from 1898 to 1903, was a long-time supporter of the University. In 1939, as the sandstone-clad buildings were taking shape at St Lucia, James Mayne died. Upon Mary Emelia Mayne's death in 1940, their Estate went to benefit the University Medical School, their names perpetuated in the naming of the Mayne Medical School.
The Mayne Estate bequeathed a significant number of artworks to the University’s Collection.
|Address:||University Drive, St Lucia, 4067|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.496519|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.