Jane TryPrint Page
A plaque commemorates Jane Try whose gift of land in 1911 established Brookvale Park as a recreation reserve for the residents of Warringah.
In 1911, the State Government reached agreement with Warringhah Shire Council to acquire land for a park near the Shire’s Offices. The acquired land plus a smaller parcel of land bought from Miss Jane Malcolm (later known as Jane Try) from Brookvale, was officially opened in 1911 as Brookvale Park. Presumably inspired by local resident action at that time to secure a public park or village green for the suburb, Jane Malcolm presented to the Minister for Lands the largest of the four lots from Lot 47A (the lot measuring 4 acres 1 rood 41⁄4 perches) – under a caveat that it only ever be used for public recreation purposes. Although the ‘dedication’ refers strictly to the first lot of land donated by Jane Try, subsequent acquisitions by Council of the other lots owned by Mr & Mrs Try were described specifically for the purposes of public recreation or for enlarging the Park.
|Address:||Pine Avenue, Brookvale Oval, Brookvale, 2100|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.759444|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1911|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1911|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 26th March, 1978|