Edward SpicerPrint Page
A plaque commemorates Mr. Edward Spicer, a benefactor to religion, philanthropy and education after whom the church was named.
At the East Adelaide Methodist Church on Sunday morning the brass tablet erected in memory of the late Mr. Edward Spicer was unveiled. There was a large congregation, including Sir Edwin and Lady Smith. The Rev. W. Jeffries said Mr. Spicer had founded the church in which they worshipped, and it would stand as a perpetual memorial to his generosity.
Mr. Spicer was a keen man of business; he had a genius for finance, and he had unflinching honor in all his undertakings. As merchants of the city had told him, his word was his bond. The wealth he had accumulated was not tainted or touched by anything unworthy, and being naturally an honorable man he carried nis principles into business life. Though by birth and education a Congregationalist, he became a member of the Methodist Church, and remained loyal to it all his life.
Mr. Spicer erected cottages in East Adelaide, Payneham, and Malvern for superannuated ministers and widows of ministers at a cost of nearly £4,000, thus recognising the value of the services of those who did good work for God. He founded a scholarship of £1,000 at Prince Alfred College, and was a benefactor to religion, philanthropy, and education in many ways. His memory would be always cherished at East Adelaide, and the trustees of the church had denominated it the Spicer Memorial Church.
Mr. Jeffries also spoke of Mr. Spicer's high Christian character. He then unveiled the memorial, which bore the following inscription:-
"To the glory of God, and in memory of Edward Spicer, who passed into perfect rest May 7, 1906, in his 90th year. 'His servants shall serve Him, and they shall see His face.' To commemorate the munificence which founded this house of worship the trustees had denominated it the Spicer Memorial Church."
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 23 July 1906.
|Address:||44a Fourth Street, Spicer Uniting Church, St Peters , 5069|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.906793|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 22nd July, 1906|
To the glory of God, and in memory of Edward Spicer, who passed into perfect rest May 7, 1906, in his 90th year.
His servants shall serve Him, and they shall see His face.
To commemorate the munificence which founded this house of worship the trustees had denominated it the Spicer Memorial Church.