Garry E. MillerPrint Page
The Garry E Miller Memorial Park commemorates Garry Miller`s committment to the Putty Road from 1956 to 2004. The memorial park is part of the Bicentenary Parkland which was established in 1988.
Putty Road was the first road constructed from Sydney to the north, being opened to traffic in 1823. It had a reputation as quite a treacherous journey and was rather indirect as a route to Newcastle - at this time the only major settlement north of Sydney. During the 1850s a new road to the north was constructed via Wisemans Ferry and the Putty Road was no longer used as a through route. The sections between Windsor and Colo and between Putty and Singleton still attracted regular traffic but across Wheelbarrow Ridge the road fell into disrepair.
In 1942, with the possibility of Australia being invaded from the north, the Department of Main Roads undertook a massive reconstruction of the road to allow for it to be used as a defence (and evacuation) route due to the vulnerability of the Hawkesbury River ferry crossings. Following the end of the war in 1945, the DMR took ownership of the road, proclaiming it Main Road No. 503 and restoring the original Putty Road name. Sealing of the road was completed in June 1964.
|Address:||Putty & Milbrodale Roads, Garry E Miller Memorial Park, Milbrodale, 2330|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.695288|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - State|
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1965|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2004|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||November-2005|
Dedicated In Memory Of His Commitment
To The Putty Road (MR503) From 1965 To 2004.
From RTA Workmates And Friends.