George Alan Lachlan WilsonPrint Page
Plaque erected in 1935 commemorates George Alan Lachlan Wilson M.L.A., member for Dubbo in appreciation of the work he had done for the town and district. The plaque was placed on the new gates at the park in 1935.
George Alan Lachlan Wilson (1895 – 1942) was an Australian politician. In 1932, Wilson was elected to the New South Wales Legislative Assembly as the member for Dubbo. He studied conditions in Europe and the Soviet Union in 1938 and was a member of the Commonwealth Liquid and Fuel Control Board from 1941 to 1942. In April 1942, still a serving MLA, he died in Sydney.
The Wellington aldermen met at the Council Chambers on Thursday night for their usual fortnightly meeting, which was presided over by his Worship the Mayor, Ald. J. M. Whiteley. Other aldermen present were H. Ziehlke, J. Longhurst, W. G. Rose, T. N. Ayling, T. E. Bassett, J. P. Dowd. The Mayor gave a report of the meeting of the representatives of the Municipal and Shire Councils in connection with the proposed scheme of advertising the beauty spots of the town and district. The Mayor stated that the Minister was now recognising the need of spending money to attract tourists, and this being the case they may be able to get financial assistance in making a road to Mount Arthur and also in further improvements at the Caves. On the motion of Ald. Rose and Longhurst the report was adopted. The Clerk, Mr. J. H. Truman, referred to the great amount of work that the member for Dubbo, Mr. George Wilson had done for the town and district and in recognition of this work he thought it would be a good gesture to have a small engraved plate put on the new gates at the baths entrance. The Mayor was in accord with the suggestion. He had discussed the matter with the Town Clerk, and he was of the opinion that it would be money well spent.
Wellington Times (NSW), 9 December 1935.
|Address:||Nanima Crescent, Cameron Park, Wellington, 2820|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.551924|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - State|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||December-1935|