Albert George OgilviePrint Page
Statue commemorates Albert Ogilvie who became Premier of Tasmania in 1934 and enjoyed a massive victory in 1937.
During his time as Premier their were many changes. The abolition of state secondary school fees was an early and visible move for state-led recovery from the Depression. Public service salaries were restored, in stages. Government increased unemployment relief and the men paid were often used in public works, most famously in building the road to Mount Wellington. Hydro-electric development meant much to Ogilvie`s government. A highlight was the opening of Tarraleah station in February 1938.
The major industrial development of the decade was in pulp and paper with Ogilvie himself orchestrating establishment of the Australian Newsprint Mills plant at Boyer, southern Tasmania. During his period there were major health reforms. He died suddenly in 1939.
Weighing 17 cwt., and standing eight feet high on an 8ft. pedestal, a bronze statue of the late Albert Ogilvie, K.C. (former Premier of Tasmania) is nearly completed. It will be placed in Parliament Square, Hobart, shortly. The statue depicts Mr. Ogilvie wearing the wig and gown of a K.C, his right hand outstretched, and a brief in his left hand. The statue is at present in a bronze foundry in Carlton. The work is that of Mr. Stanley Hammond, who commenced the task in 1941. However, he joined the services when Japan entered the war, and his work was held up until he was discharged about 18 months ago.
Advocate (Burnie) , 24th December 1947.
|Address:||Parliament Square, Murray Street, Hobart, 7000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.885978|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - State|
|Monument Designer:||Stanley Hammond|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1948|