Sir Thomas Mellis NapierPrint Page
A portrait bust commemorates the former Lieutenant-Governor and Chief Justice of South Australia, Sir Thomas Mellis Napier.
The bust was presented to the Corporation of the City of Adelaide by a group of admirers and was erected as a tribute to the great public service of Sir Mellis Napier. The City Council provided the pedestal which was designed by Mr W.A Gilbert of Medindie in association with Mr Dowie.
Sir Mellis Napier was State President (1938-48) of the English Speaking Union, grand master (1928-30, 1935-39) of the Grand Lodge of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons of South Australia, and patron of the National Trust of South Australia.
As President (K.St.J., 1948) of the St John Ambulance Association from 1942, he promoted the amalgamation of the State`s ambulance services and served as president (1950-76) of the St John Council. In 1956 the University of Melbourne conferred on him an honorary LL.D. As Lieutenant-Governor (1942-73) of South Australia, Napier administered the government on 179 occasions, totalling almost nine and a half years—longer than any governor of the State.
|Address:||North Terrace, Prince Henry Gardens, Adelaide, 5000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.921235|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - State|
|Monument Designer:||John Dowie (sculptor) F.J.Lemon (bronze casting)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Thursday 2nd July, 1970|
SIR MELLIS NAPIER
K.C.M.G., K.St.J., LL.D
LIEUTENANT -GOVERNOR OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA FROM 1942 -1973
JUDGE OF SUPREME COURT 1924 -1967
CHIEF JUSTICE 1942-1967
CHANCELLOR OF UNIVERSITY OF ADELAIDE 1948-1961
ERECTED IN 1970 AS A TRIBUTE TO HIS GREAT PUBLIC SERVICE