James Leo GeraghtyPrint Page
Gates commemorate the services to the community of James Geraghty, as member of the Legislative Assembly for North Sydney, in securing the Waverton Park for the municipality.
James Geraghty was the Member for North Sydney from 1941 to 1953. He was a member of the Australian Labor Party (ALP) until 1950 and then sat as an Independent Labor member .
The Government suggested that Council consider naming the new reserve ”Geraghty Park”. However, J.L Geraghty himself declared publicly that his only concern was that the reserve would be used for the purpose for which it was dedicated and he was not interested in having the park named in his honour. Council subsequently decided upon naming the new area “Waverton Park." Labour and materials shortages in the postwar period impeded beautification works in the new park for several years after the dedication. Waverton Progress Association proposed improvements to the Park in 1947 consisting of entrance gates at the corner of Woolcott and Larkin Streets. Furthermore, that said gates should be named “Geraghty Gates” in view of the activity and tenacity displayed by Mr Geraghty in securing this area for the Municipality in the face of many difficulties. The Geraghty Gates were officially opened on 21 November 1948, by the Hon. J.J. Cahill, MLA, Minister for Works and Local Government, in the presence of a large number of interested residents.
|Address:||Woolcott & Larkin Streets, Waverton Park, Waverton, 2060|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.839413|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - State|
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1941|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1953|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 21st November, 1948|