Major Clarence Edward MartinPrint Page Print this page

Major Clarence Edward Martin : 09-January-2013
Major Clarence Edward Martin : 09-January-2013

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

Fountain and plaque erected by public subscription commemorates Major Clarence Edward Martin 1900 - 1953.

As attorney-general from 1941 until 1953, he had ambitious plans for substantial law reform. His most notable achievement was widening legal aid through establishing the posts of public defender (1941) and public solicitor (1944). In the face of wartime pressures, party hostility and indifference, he failed in his endeavours to abolish the death penalty and to reform the married women's property law.

Hoping to strengthen his political credentials, Martin was commissioned in the Militia in March 1942 and transferred to the Australian Imperial Force on 15 July. In 1943-44 he was staff captain at Port Moresby Base. As a field co-ordinator (1944-45) on the staff of the quartermaster general, Land Headquarters, Melbourne, he rose to temporary major and travelled around the South-West Pacific Area.


Address:Macquarie Street, Hyde Park Barracks , Sydney, 2000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.869444
Long: 151.212222
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - State
Monument Designer:Dennis Adams (plaque bas relief)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 3rd June, 1982
Front Inscription

Major The Hon. Clarence Edward Martin Q.C.,
M.Ec., LL.B., 1900 - 1958 Attorney General 1941 - 1953

Miner, Teacher, Economist, Barrister & Soldier

This Plaque And Drinking Fountain Were Erected By The
Clarrie Martin Memorial Appeal In 1982

Unveiled By The Hon. Jack Ferguson  
Deputy Premier & Minister for Public Works and Ports
On 3rd. June, 1982.

Source: MA,H
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design