Sir Henry ParkesPrint Page
A statue of Sir Henry Parkes is a tribute to the Father of Federation after whom the town of Parkes was named, The statue was unveiled during 125th Anniversary of Local Government celebrations in 2008.
Parkes has a unique history in that the town (originally called Bushman`s Lead) petitioned Sir Henry Parkes while he was still alive to have the town named after him.
In 1873 the then Prime Minister of New South Wales, Sir Henry Parkes, showed his interest in the district by visiting the diggings. On December 1, 1873 the name of the settlement was changed from Bushmans to Parkes in honour of the great statesman.
Later on August 1, 1887 the town changed the name of the main street to 'Clarinda', Lady Parkes' christian name. In October 1998 celebrations were held to mark the 125th anniversary of the name change from Bushmans to Parkes.
Sir Henry Parkes, GCMG (27 May 1815 – 27 April 1896) was an Australian politician and businessman who served as a Premier of New South Wales. He has been referred to as the "Father of Federation", as he was one of the most influential advocates of the Federation of Australia.
He served as Premier for five separate occasions from 1872 to 1891. Later in his career, he joined the Free Trade Party; there were no political parties in New South Wales until 1887.He was the primary instigator of a conference in 1890 and a Constitutional convention in 1891, the first of a series of meetings that led to the federation of Australia. He died in 1896, five years before this process was completed. He was described during his lifetime by The Times as "the most commanding figure in Australian politics". Alfred Deakin described Parkes as having flaws but nonetheless being "a large-brained self-educated Titan whose natural field was found in Parliament."
|Address:||Welcome & Clarinda Streets, Parkes Town Centre, Parkes, 2870|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.137684|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - State|
|Monument Designer:||Terrance Plowright|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 12th May, 2008|
A TRIBUTE TO THE FATHER OF FEDERATION
This sculpture of
SIR HENRY PARKES
was unveiled by
Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC CVO
Governor of New South Wales
on 12 May 2008
as part of Parkes
Local Government Anniversary Celebrations
Cr Robert Wilson OAM Alan McCormack PSM
Mayor General Manager
Terrance Plowright, Sculptor