Neil HargavePrint Page
|Address:||Namatjira Drive, Neil Hargrave Lookout, Alice Springs, 0870|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -23.750633|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - State|
The Neil Hargrave Lookout
This lookout commemorates the valuable contributions made to the Northern Territory by Nathaniel Charles (Neil) Hargrave, OBE, BA, LLB.
Mr Hargrave was born in Adelaide in 1915 and qualified as a lawyer before serving in the RAAF during World War Two. He moved to Alice Springs in 1949.
He was elected to the Northern Territory Legislative Council in May 1954 wher he made major contributions to the Northern Territory`s constitutional status and eventual self government. He also advocated government action for conservation of natural and historic places, leading to legislation which resulted in the formation of the Reserves Baord (now the Northern Territory Parks and Wildlife Commission).
In June 1956 Mr. Hargrave was appointed the first Chairman of the Reserves Board and served in this capacity until he left the Territory in 1963. He personally identified many areas worthy of conservation, including such sites as the Alice Springs Telegraph Station and areas here in the West MacDonnelll Ranges.