Sir Frederick W. Holder Print Page
A foundation stone and former church commemorate Sir Frederick William Holder who was a Premier of South Australia and Speaker of the Federal Parliament. The Holder Memorial Church was named in his memory and opened in 1915.
Sir Frederick William Holder KCMG (12 May 1850 – 23 July 1909) was the 19th Premier of South Australia and a prominent member of the inaugural Australian Commonwealth Parliament, including the first Speaker of the House of Representatives.
There have always been members of parliament who are devoutly religious, in a variety of faiths. Frederick Holder, Burra teacher and newspaper editor, entered South Australian Parliament representing his district in the House of Assembly in 1887. He defeated Thomas Playford to become Premier in 1892. Holder again became Premier in 1899, following the defeat of Charles Cameron Kingston. In 1901 he moved on to federal politics, and was elected first Speaker of the House of Representatives. He was knighted in 1902. Holder collapsed and died on the floor of the House, following a stormy all-night sitting, in 1909. He and his wife were devout Methodists. He was a lay preacher, regularly conducting services in country as well as city churches. He was also active in church administration, and a keen supporter of Methodist Union in 1900. The West Adelaide Methodist Church was re-named Holder Memorial Church after him.
There was a very large gathering at the ceremony of laying the foundation stone of the Holder Memorial Church this afternoon, included among the visitors being the Mayor and Councillors of Thebarton. The foundation stone bore the following inscription: — "In memoriam. The Hon. Sir Frederick Holder, K.C.M.G., M.H.R., To the Glory of God. This stone was laid by Lady Holder on Saturday, July 25, 1914."
The Mail (Adelaide) 25 July 1914.
Memories of Sir Frederick Holder were recalled on July 25 when the foundation-stone of a Methodist church to be built in perpetuation of his name was laid in Fisher Terrace West Adelaide, by Lady Holder. It was in the church at present in use on the same block of land that Sir Frederick preached his last sermon before going to Melbourne to attend a meeting of the Federal Parliament. The new church, which has been designed by the pastor, Rev. T. Geddes White, will accommodate 400 persons.
Chronicle (Adelaide) 1 August 1914.
One of the most artistic Methodist churches in the metropolitan area was opened by his Honor the Chief Justice (Sir Samuel Way, Bart.) at West Adelaide on Saturday afternoon. It has been erected for worship and to the glory of God and in memory of one of the mostt honored and brilliant statesmen Australia has known-the late Sir Frederick Holder. The principal features of the new church are its novel design in the Gothic style, its commanding position on a main thoroughfare (Fisher-terrace or South-road), at the end of a long and wide street, its handsome decorative memorial windows and striking internal decoration. It has seating accommodation for 400, and the approximate cost was £1,850.
The Advertiser (Adelaide) 18 January 1915.
|Address:||200 South Road, Mile End, 5031|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.926379|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - State|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th July, 1914|
The Hon Sir Frederick W. Holder, K.C.M.G. M.H.R.
To the glory of God
This stone was laid by Lady Holder on Saturday July 25th 1914