www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Opening of the R.J. Hamer Forest ArboretumPrint Page Print this page

19-October-2013
19-October-2013

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The plaque commemorates the opening of the R.J. Hamer Forest Arboretum.

The R.J. Hamer Arboretum land is a small part of the original Dandenong and Woori Yallock State forest, proclaimed over 110 years ago. A succession of fires destroyed the original eucalypt forest and during 1948 -1955 softwood trees were planted on site as part of plans to improve Victoria’s timber supplies.

The fires of 1962 destroyed the majority of these post war plantings and the government then investigated the future use of the area. Plans were developed for the establishment of an exotic forest Arboretum to be used as part of a firebreak for the Olinda township. The R.J. Hamer Arboretum is the first known occasion in which a forest style Arboretum was completely established by planting. A basic planting design was completed in 1970 and planting was carried out for the next 15 years.

Location

Address:Chalet Road, Olinda, 3788
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.860094
Long: 145.382108
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 22nd April, 1977
Front Inscription

The R. J. Hamer Forest Arboretum
This Plaque Was Unveiled
By The Hon. R. J. Hamer, E.D., M.P.
         Premier Of Victoria
         To Commemorate
The Official Opening Of The Arboretum By

The Hon. F. J. Granter, M.L.C.
     Minister Of Forests 
      On 22nd April 1977

Forests Commission, Victoria
Dr. F. R. Moulds, Chairman
Mr. A. J. Threader, Commissioner
Mr. J. H. Cosstick, Commissioner

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design